[Beowulf] ever heard of ScaleMP?

Shai Fultheim (Shai@ScaleMP.com) shai at scalemp.com
Thu Dec 20 20:04:35 PST 2007

Greg,

It is a bit difficult to use classic apple-to-apples comparison, when
there is not much to compare to.  vSMPowered systems are the largest x86
systems from both memory and core count, which makes it a bit hard to
compare.  Some data below:

1. Apples-to-apples:
 - The fastest SUN 8-proc (x4600m2) AMD machine (2.6):  STREAM OMP 9GB
 - The fastest IBM 8-proc (x3950) Intel machine (3.0):  STREAM OMP 4GB
 - vSMPowered system has linear STREAM bandwidth...  so 8-proc STREAM
OMP 27GB
2. Apples-to-oranges:
 - Comparing Itanuim-2 (not 1) and x86 when it get to large memory is
the right comparison.  After all, finding another x86 system that has
>400GB RAM is quite difficult.

I don't have SPEC OMP results, but one application I can mention that
make use of OMP is Gaussian, which is running by several customers at
better performance than other (AMD, Itanuium) platform - after
customer's apple-to-apple comparison.

I'll be happy to discuss our technology in details if you have the time.
Note that we have several contacts in common at PathScale/Qlogic that
can share more light on ScaleMP's technology.

--Shai