[Beowulf] Help with inconsistent network performance

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Dec 18 15:41:17 PST 2007

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 06:21:35PM -0500, Patrick Geoffray wrote:

> I don't know about the hardware flow-control implementation in the
> Procurve 2848, and it may just be off by default like most Ethernet
> switches. FWIW, there was no working hardware flow-control on the 10GigE
> Procurve switch that I have played with, even when turned on.

If I do

ethtool -a eth0

and it says RX/TX pause are on, doesn't that mean that the switch
supports it? And ethtool -S eth0 will show if you've actually
had some pauses or flow-control events.

My dumb Netgear 24-port 1-gig switch supports hw flow control.  Sounds
like things are a bit more difficult with low-end 10gigE ports.

-- greg