[Beowulf] multi-threading vs. MPI

Michael H. Frese Michael.Frese at NumerEx.com
Tue Dec 11 16:21:36 PST 2007

Thanks for the results, and the link.  In section 6.7 of the NAS
Parallel Benchmark
(<http://www.nas.nasa.gov/News/Techreports/1996/PDF/nas-96-010.pdf>NPB
2.1 Results Report, NAS-95-010 (PDF-213KB) on MPI, I found a
discussion of the Clustered-SMP issues discussed so far in this
thread.  Its interesting that these issues discussed twelve years ago
are coming around again.  La plus ca change..., I suppose.

In addition, there is a table of results in that section for an SGI
Power Challenge Array showing that idling processors on a given node
and using more nodes improves the speed per processor across four
different code kernels and two different problem sizes.  This doesn't
tell us how a hybrid MP/MT application would work within a 4 core 2
CPU node, but it does hint that memory contention can be just as
nasty a problem as high latency message transmission.

Mike