[Beowulf] multi-threading vs. MPI

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Dec 11 15:07:36 PST 2007

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 08:52:11AM -0500, Joe Landman wrote:
>
>> On the contrary, it is precisely because people are asking "how should I
>> parallelize" that they need to ask the basic question of "where does my
>> code spend time for my problems."
>
> OK, so say I have a garden-variety finite-difference code. I know how

[... deletia ...]

Greg, you missed my point, entirely.  By a wide margin.

This is why I note that talking about MPI vs OpenMP and other
pseudo-debates generates mostly heat and very little light.  Reminds me
of editor battles, shell scripting battles ...

Bowing out of this part of the discussion, so no more heat is generated.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com