[Beowulf] Strange hardware? problems

Craig West cwest at astro.umass.edu
Fri Apr 27 11:26:26 PDT 2007

Orion,

Have you tried to look for bios updates for the motherboards? Looking at
the motherboard BIOS page shows lots of fixes.

    http://www.tyan.com/support_download_bios.aspx?model=S.S2882

It might be worth checking the two machines are running the same BIOS
versions. My guess is the S2882-D is running a newer bios, unless you
have upgraded.

Also have you tried installing one set of the (failing) 244s into the
(good) S2882-D motherboard, and running the computation?
I'm assuming they are compatible, but you might want to check first.
> We've got two pairs of identical machines:
>
> - 2 Tyan S2882 dual processor Opteron 244 stepping 10
> - 2 Tyan S2882-D dual processor dual core Opteron 275 stepping 2
>
> We have two (relatively complicated) numerical models (RAMS and a
> homegrown one) that will blow up in random locations on the 244
> machines but run fine on the 275 machines.
>
> By blow up it appears the calculations get corrupted in some way and
> the numbers get un-physical in RAMS and the simulation exits.  With
> the other model we get segfaults.

Cheers,
Craig.