[Beowulf] scheduler policy design

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 12:49:50 PDT 2007

Mark,

On 4/27/07, Mark Hahn <hahn at mcmaster.ca> wrote:

> > It's great that all y'all recognize a reliable standard source of good
> > kernels, but I'm missing something.
>
> all kernels come from kernel.org; the most current is always from there.

I see at Wiki:

As an operating system <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system>, *
ClusterKnoppix* is a specialized Linux <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux>
distribution <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution> that is a
modification of the Knoppix
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knoppix>distribution, but which uses the
openMosix <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenMosix> kernel.

Do you not consider Knoppix a Linux, or do you consider "openMosix" to come
from kernel.org?

I'm sorry to make a fuss over mere language, but really this is confusing
me. Perhaps I need to distinguish "kernel, the minimum machine-dependent
component" from "kernel, what is in memory after boot ends" but I would
expect that a kernel optimized for a compute node would vary even in the
first defintion from a single kernel published at kernel.org.

Peter