[Beowulf] is ethernet network proper for a 50-node Beowulf cluster?

laytonjb at charter.net laytonjb at charter.net
Thu Apr 26 21:34:14 PDT 2007

Ruhollah,

I hate to say, but "it depends." It depends upon what you are doing with the cluster
(what kind of applications), how many cores or nodes are used in a single run,
what kind of IO you need, etc.

Now, with that said, I think GigE can be very appropriate for a 50 node cluster
for some applications. If you have multiple connections, you can even use
something like GAMMA (google for GAMMA and MPI). Then you are likely
to squeeze as much performance as you can possibly get out of a GigE network.

Good luck!

Jeff