[Beowulf] scheduler policy design

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Apr 25 09:43:49 PDT 2007

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007, Tim Cutts wrote:

> With our queueing system that forces the job into a lower priority queue.

Just to be sure that we are talking about the same thing: this is a
value which is set by the user to the maximum allowed, not one
automatically used by the scheduler because none was provided.

Then how do you distinguish between these careless users and those
super-smart who try to squeeze every drop of the CPU time that they
can get and actually have jobs that run very close to the maximum time
allowed ? (the question doesn't apply only to time, but could be
rephrased for any other resource)
I don't know how probable such a mixture of users is, but I did
encounter it ;-)

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868