[Beowulf] SGI to offer Windows on clusters

Greg Kurtzer gmk at lbl.gov
Mon Apr 16 09:40:04 PDT 2007

As much as I love distribution debates, I have been really trying to
just let it happen and not get drawn in. I think I did a pretty good
job too! ... Well, as of 5 minutes ago.

How can anyone really take a distribution that does not support its
own packages for any reasonable amount of time seriously as a cluster
solution? Discounting the simple to fix openssh type bugs, what
happens when the core OS has a vulnerability or major bug? None of
the options seem acceptable to me:

    1. let it go and don't fix
    2. create the fix ourselves from either a supported src.rpm from
a different distro
    3. back-port the fix myself
    3. merge a binary fix from a newer OS revision
    4. hope that someone else will do #2 or #3 and share their work
    5. upgrade the entire cluster several times during its lifetime

Maybe single (or very low count user systems) can find this model
reasonable, but for any multiuser system (especially not at an *.edu)
it is unreasonable. A break-in on a system being maintained like this
can get people fired for very bad decisions and weak sysadmin
practices. About the only saving excuse is "the postdoc or scientist
did it!".

Regarding hardware support, John you hit the nail on the head. Much
easier to update the kernel or modules then support a non-upstream-
supported version of glibc (or other core library). Also when
purchasing a cluster from a hardware integrator, we always add a
comment about the system must be compatible with a default install of
the distribution that we plan on using (with needed exclusions
specified).

Tracking Fedora releases is masochistic both for IHV/ISV's as well as
the administrators who care about security and stability.

Greg