[Beowulf] SGI to offer Windows on clusters

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Sun Apr 15 17:01:22 PDT 2007

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 07:26:49PM -0400, Joe Landman wrote:

> This is one of the strongest arguments to certifying to an LSB and not a
> distro.

Er, you can't do that. LSB gives a philosophy for where things should
go. It says nothing about the exact versions. ISV codes have bugs with
some versions of Linux stuff and not others. So LSB certification
wouldn't mean very much in the "We tried it and it worked for us"
meaning of certification.

We find very few clusters with high-speed interconneect using Fedora
-- they're mostly on RHEL clones, with a few on SLES. There is a wider
variety of compiler customers.

-- greg