[Beowulf] SGI to offer Windows on clusters

Ryan Waite ryanw at windows.microsoft.com
Thu Apr 12 12:12:21 PDT 2007

Ideally ISVs won't link with a.DLL for Compute Cluster Server. Instead
they'll call a web service running on the job scheduler node. That web
service could be offered by a Windows cluster or a Linux/UNIX cluster.
This simplifies cluster integration work for ISVs.

We hope the way people do this is using the HPC Profile as defined by
OGF. The first release of this spec is pretty simple (read: pragmatic)
and in the future I hope it will become richer, providing better
application integration with cluster resources.

We've just hired Steven Newhouse (previously with OMII at Southampton)
to work with OGF and related standards on these kinds of issues. If
you're passionate about job scheduler interoperability or about ISV
integration with clusters I'd encourage you to join the HPC Profile
working group at OGF.

Thanks,
Ryan Waite
Group Program Manager - HPC