[Beowulf] Win64 Clusters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toon Moene toon at moene.indiv.nluug.nl
Sun Apr 8 10:30:41 PDT 2007

Jon Forrest wrote:

> One thing I've noticed about 64-bit computing in general
> is that it's being oversold. The **only** reason
> for running in 64-bit mode is if you need the additional
> address space.

I wouldn't be to sure of that.  Recently I became interested in the
divisors of a given natural number.

The obvious Fortran program is:

       integer*8 n, i, j, k
       character*80 arg
       call getarg(1,arg)
       read(arg, '(i20)') n
       i = n
       j = 1
       k = i / j
       do while (k .ge. j)
          if (i .eq. k * j) print*, k, j
          j = j + 1
          k = i / j
       end do
       end

[ OK, this isn't purely Fortran 77, but close enough that
   most compilers will do the *right thing* ]

I tried it on 32 bit Linux (at work) and my laptop (AMD64 Linux), using
gfortran 4.1.

The execution time difference was about 2 orders of magnitude.

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon at moene.indiv.nluug.nl - phone: +31 346 214290
At home: http://moene.indiv.nluug.nl/~toon/