[Beowulf] Win64 Clusters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ariel Sabiguero Yawelak asabigue at fing.edu.uy
Sat Apr 7 04:37:41 PDT 2007

Miller Ross wrote:
> <...>
>
> That said, we as an industry do owe Microsoft one significant debt.
> The standardization of Microcomputer hardware.
I am not so sure. Microsoft deals (at least dealt) with software, not
hardware.
I am not completely sure if there is someone who shall get the credit or
if it was just a coincidence that the PC the is the "winner". If someone
must get some credit, that shall be given to IBM and Donald Estridge.
Donald was responsible for building the PC based on an open architecture
and to use components (software and hardware) from outside of IBM. Open
architecture and off-the-shelf components made the IBM PC architecture
becoming the de-facto standard.

I believe that these are the same fundaments of beowulf, why the PC grew
so much during this period, and a good example of how open standards
promote innovation.

Ariel