[Beowulf] Win64 Clusters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 09:44:50 PDT 2007

John,

Thanks for your reply, and taking the trouble to grab those measurements. My
own HPC cluster is only in my head (where it performs poorly!) so I can't
return the favor directly. But like many good answers we can narrow down
some discussion/thinking points.

I'll spare you stories of booting SVr4 on 512K :-) -- it didn 't work
well, "vi temp" hung, I had to get expansion memory for my 286. Of course
unices can be made arbitrarily tiny, but my feeling is that 20% of RAM is
not unreasonable these days. However, we'd want to think about what
resources are consumed (presumably, disk?) or functionality lost
(presumably, none?) when the OS does not have the RAM to resize itself
larger (i.e., what is the cost of using only 153MB when only 512 is
available, and it would use 400 if it could get it? presumably disk
paging?).

This ties into the related item, thanks very much for introducing it into
the thread, of disk usage. This would tie the footprint question into
broader networking issues in the case of diskless compute nodes (the virtual
memory expected by the OS is remote) and the disk usage time for diskful
nodes.

I hope someone sitting next to an actual terminal to an actual cluster can
handily post something similar for comparison. Of course it's not
apples-to-apples; unless someone with a Beowulif of Macs wants to chime in
:-) But the comparison can make a table-of-contents for a discussion.

Engineers build things with constraints: climate, terrain, budget, stresses,
loads....and their employer's business model. I have no animosity to
engineers building things with constraints.

Peter