[Beowulf] Win64 Clusters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Apr 3 07:58:55 PDT 2007

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, Bill Bryce wrote:

> So this change effectively ties Microsoft MPI to only Microsoft Windows
> platforms, and the security changes are closed source.  Not all of
> Microsoft's partners like MS MPI - when HP ships Microsoft CCS they
> remove MS MPI and put in HP MPI - which probably just adds to confusion
> on the end user side.

Security changes?  To MPI itself?  This puts them into a somewhat grey
area with regard to the GPL, doesn't it... that viral thing.

I'm sure that they can manage the remote job launch any way that they
like, but doesn't that leave the MPI CODE still portable?

It isn't completely crazy that the US government would intervene here if
they broke MPI portability.  After all, MPI exists at all primarily
because of direct government intervention (unlike PVM, which exists
because some Very Bright People conceived it and invented it and made it
fly).

Still, nothing the Borg Empire does in this regard would surprise me.

     rgb

> Regards,
>
> Bill.

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu