[Beowulf] Win64 Clusters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erik Paulson epaulson at cs.wisc.edu
Mon Apr 2 09:45:39 PDT 2007

On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 12:12:29PM -0400, Douglas Eadline wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Would any of you please like to share usage-experience/views/comments
> > about Windows Compute Cluster Server 2003 based Beowulf Clusters?
>
> As a point of clarification, there is no such thing
> as a "Windows Compute Cluster Server 2003 based Beowulf Clusters"
> This link may help:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf_cluster

I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with saying "Your Beowulf must run
an (F)OSS operating system to be a Beowulf."

You can build a Beowulf out of Windows. God only knows why you'd want to, but
you can.

Just to invent a little bit of evidence, Thomas Sterling edited a book
called "Beowulf Cluster Computing with Windows"

http://www.amazon.com/Beowulf-Computing-Scientific-Engineering-Computation/dp/0262692759/ref=pd_sim_b_5/002-1371173-4594458?ie=UTF8&qid=1175531228&sr=8-1

It was actually two books - a "Beowulf Cluster Computing with Linux" and a
"Beowulf Cluster Computing with Windows". 75% of the text was the same. (We
wrote a chapter in it - we used the same chapter, with latex macros \iflinux
and \ifwinnt for whichever book was being built)

The Linux book way outsold the Windows book, and so there was no second
edition of the Windows book. My guess is that most everyone had the good
sense to say "Windows as the base OS for my cluster? No thanks"

> > What in your opinion is the future of such clusters?
> >
> > How you compare these with the LINUX CLUSTERS?
>
> You will not find much information on this list as
> it mainly focuses on Linux Beowulf style clusters.

The parallel programming part of this list applies to Windows as
much as it applies to Linux (or FreeBSD or Darwin or HURD)

-Erik