[Beowulf] layer 3 switches

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri Sep 22 02:20:15 PDT 2006

Warren Turkal wrote:
> Does a layer 3 switch make sense on a Beowulf cluster running on GigE? If so,
> does anyone have any recommendations?

We use several brands of switches, HP, 3Com and Nortel.

We have recently put in some larger clusters using Nortel 5510 switches,
which are stackable 48 port switches. You can get longer stacking
cables, so you can put one switch (*) per rack and extend the stacks
horizontally, ie. cat 5 stays within a rack, or maybe two.

These are layer 3 switches, but we don't use the layer 3 functionality.

I'm sure others will disagree, but I would say layer 3 functionality is
not needed.

(*) Well, not really one switch. One switch for admin and Panasas
storage traffic, and two for dedicated MPI traffic.

--
      John Hearns
      Senior HPC Engineer