[Beowulf] commercial clusters

Richard Walsh rbw at ahpcrc.org
Mon Oct 9 07:09:15 PDT 2006

Robert G. Brown wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Oct 2006, Toon Moene wrote:
>
>> Robert G. Brown wrote:
>>
>>> Chess is arguably HPC
>>
>> Only as far as it includes destruction of life as we know it:
>>
>> http://www.research.ibm.com/deepblue/learn/html/e.8.2.shtml
>
>   :-)
>
> Silly computers.  They do NOT want to encounter the ghost of Alan Turing
> -- he's got a "halting problem" with their name on it...;-)
>
> Chess at least is a zero-sum non-stochastic game that DOES terminate,
> even if we cannot reach its termination.
>
>     rgb

There are some very subtle things at work here.  We are want to fall in
love with the countable and not-quite-infinite where our powers have
some play between the trivial and unfathomable.  This is perhaps because
reality seems to be more probably uncountable and infinite relative to
those same powers.  Playing games, whatever the stripe,  is as alluring
to the mind as a women's smile is to the heart--we can't help it.

;-)

rbw

--

Richard B. Walsh

Project Manager
Network Computing Services, Inc.
Army High Performance Computing Research Center (AHPCRC)
rbw at ahpcrc.org  |  612.337.3467

This message (including any attachments) may contain proprietary or
privileged information, the use and disclosure of which is legally
restricted.  If you have received this message in error please notify
the sender by reply message, do not otherwise distribute it, and delete
this message, with all of its contents, from your files.