[Beowulf] Question about amd64 architecture and floating pointoperations

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 24 10:05:59 PST 2006

hi Mark,

Hopefully your 80 bits logics code is not critical to anything.
I wouldn't count at keeping the entire 62 bits (?) mantissa.

Context switch and dang it's gone.

I guess question is how important it is to get a lot of digits.
Consider PFRSQRT which is 3 cycles.

Whereas a floating point square root is 35 cycles.

I'd go for that SIMD; you can binary toy then and add results and get quite
a lot
more bits significance. Perhaps even faster than in 35 cycles.

Good luck,
Vincent