[Beowulf] onboard Gb lan: any opinion, sugestion or impression?

Jones de Andrade johannesrs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 12:46:57 PST 2006

Hi all.

First of all, thanks a lot for all the answers. They clarified this subject
to me.

Anyway, since this seems to be a good (AND cheap) solution in many cases, I
decided to ask a bit more in detail:

While looking for the motherboards for our 8-12 dual-core-nodes cluster,
already with the idea of using on-board dual-Gb ethernets on it, we came
across the MSI K9N Ultra and bigger ones family. In this family, there is
the MSI K9N Platinum (
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=730),
which is appearing around here at a really affordable price (a bit more than
2 hundred dollars each here).

This motherboard uses the nForce 570 MCP chipset from NVidia, and the dual
lan bythe Vitesse VSC8601.

Here is where our concerns now are held: Basically, is this a good dual Gb
lan, good in terms of clustering applications? Has anybody ever used it
before, or heard about someone using? Or shall we step back about this
specific chip/motherboard?

Any help on this subject will be very welcome.

Thanks a lot,

Jones