[Beowulf] What can a HS student do with a small Beowulf?

Nathan Moore nmoore at winona.edu
Tue May 23 13:04:24 PDT 2006

Hi,

Just building a beowulf is in itself is a challenge - I'm impressed
that you're thinking about getting one together.  As others have
said, Beowulfs are only useful if you have a tough problem to work on
(which also interests you).

My advice (as a physicist) is to find some problems that interest you
and then try to tackle them with your Beowulf.  One way to do this is
to see if your local library has either "Duelling Idiots" (P Nahin,
ISBN 0691102864 ) or "The Computational Beauty of Nature" (G Flake,
ISBN 0262561271).  Both are excellent introductions to computational
science.

I may get flamed for saying this - but computers will never take over
the world - its the people who program the computers who might.
Learn fortran90 (it'll take you 2 hours) and then get started in
science!

best of luck

Nathan Moore, PhD
Assistant Professor, Physics