[Beowulf] question about enforcement of scheduler use

Matt Allen malallen at indiana.edu
Tue May 23 07:18:45 PDT 2006

Larry,

The prologue script only runs on the mother superior node, so it can
only alter the other nodes in the job via (probably) ssh.  I think Dr.
Weisz's script does this, although the version I've seen has "rsh"
hard-coded.  I'd check to see that the prologue script is actually
altering limits.conf on all of the nodes, since it looks like that could
be why you're seeing connection failures.

I think the way you're going about this is fine; we've tried the same
thing here at IU.  In the end, we just didn't have that many problem
users connecting directly to the compute nodes, so we abandoned the
restriction enforcement.  Our problems have more to do with orphaned MPI
processes hanging around on nodes, so we use a script to periodically
clean out processes owned by users who shouldn't be on the node.

As far as a manual is concerned, all I can suggest is the PBSPro admin's
guide, but that's more for prologue/epilogue specifics, not techniques
for restricting access.  Another method for restricting access, assuming
users only need multiple nodes for MPI jobs, is to disable ssh access
entirely to the compute nodes, and require mpiexec (or LAM/MPI, OpenMPI
or some other MPI that's aware of the PBS tm API).  This allows
processes on the  job nodes to be spawned directly from the pbs_mom,
rather than the mother superior node's pbs_mom spawning an mpirun
process that then uses ssh to start the multiple MPI processes.  This
requires some user education, though, and there will almost always be
cases where it's not going to work, such as users who require commercial
MPI distributions.

Matt

--
Matt Allen            |  Systems Analyst
malallen at indiana.edu  |  Research and Technical Services