[Beowulf] fast interconnects

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Sat May 20 10:16:28 PDT 2006

> As for bit error rates.. 10^-15 is the going in worst case, and 10^-18 is
> the typical design point.  A bit of a challenge to test the latter however
> (10^18 bits at 10^10 bits/sec takes 10^8 seconds)

I did a little research, and could only find reference to 10^-12
as the target BER for 10gbase-t.  I'm not sure how much this would
matter though - surely people would still use the usual higher-level
checksum/retransmission, no?  also, from what I read, the main
concern wrt BER is length-related insertion loss.  obviously, if
the system can manage 10^-12 at 100M, it'll have a much easier time
for inside-machineroom runs (say, 15M) or in-cluster (<10 most of
the time).