[Beowulf] Static Compilation versus Dynamic Compilation

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pathscale.com
Thu Mar 23 13:17:58 PST 2006

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 03:51:38PM -0300, Ivan Silvestre Paganini Marin wrote:

> I am curious to see if a static compilated program is fastest than a
> dynamic one.

It depends. If you call enough really short functions in a library,
you'll see a difference. This is fairly rare.

The bigger effect is that the shared library has to be -fpic (position
independent code).  On x86_64, our compiler is pretty good at keeping
this overhead low, but your mileage will vary.

-- greg