[Beowulf] Cluster newbie, power recommendations

Charlie Peck charliep at cs.earlham.edu
Mon Mar 20 16:19:21 PST 2006

On Mar 20, 2006, at 6:50 PM, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006, Eric Geater at Home wrote:
>
>> Howdy, everyone!
>>
>> Maybe this is a question better suited for hardware heads, but I've
>> become
>> Beowulf curious, and am interested in learning a hardware question.
>>
>> I have access to a bunch of old ATX computers.  The most likely common
>> processor will no doubt be Pentium II 400, with hard drive space
>> around 10gb

>> This is a power-saving concept... if I could run 16 mobo's on 8 (or
>> even 6)
>> power supplies, it might be more beneficial to my health and
>> well-being when
>> the electric bill comes in.
>
> Sigh.  If you do the math, you are better off buying a single AMD64
> than
> using the whole cluster for "work", especially as far as power is
> concerned.  16 mobos is likely close to 1600 watts -- almost certainly
> over 1000 watts even if you use larger/collective power supplies.
> Compare that to the 100-200 watts for a single AMD64, and you're
> looking
> at an ~$800/year difference in cost paying for the electricity and
> cooling alone (at an estimated $1/watt/year, which is a bit high
> depending on where you live but probably not even a factor of two
> high).

I think clusters like the one Eric wants to build have /significant/
educational value, both in the building and the use.  How else does one
learn to do parallel/distributed programming if not on a cluster, even
a "toy" one?  Sure the single AMD64 will be more powerful but it won't
provide an opportunity to learn about message passing, speedup,
efficiency, problem decomposition, etc.