[Beowulf] Re: Feedback on large pages in Linux (hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca)

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Sat Jul 29 21:53:53 PDT 2006

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> Uh, yeah. However, in a system with multiple page sizes, nobody says
> that you have to use the large size for your file mmaps or I/O.

Ah.  So the idea is that small isn't always best, large isn't always
best, but being able to pick the best size for what you're doing is
best.

> Paging is also less efficient with large pages, but modern systems
> don't page much.
>
> BTW, you should warn me when you invoke my name at the end of a long
> post, it's not like I'm as omniscient as Kibo...

Next time I will remember to burn the incense and sacrifice the chicken
before invoking your name, to warn you.  From inside an inscribed
pentagram, of course. Now where did I put that athame...;-)

>> (working for a compiler company, after all;-)...
>
> ... did a lot more work on the interconnect. Maybe I just suffer from
> Male Answer Syndrome?

Or would that be Mail Answer Syndrome?  That's what I have, for sure.
Even on vaction.

OTOH, there is something "better", somehow, about answering email via a
wireless DSL link from the living room of a cottage that looks out over
Lake Huron, where just a few hours before I was catching a dozen or so
mid-size smallmouth bass in about an hour of fishing as the sun set over
the water.  Letting them all go -- I don't keep anything under about 3
pounds up here, but the 1-2 pounders are wonderful fun to catch and
release, wading along in 3-4 foot deep water.

Y'know, except for actually going to a classroom and teaching, I could
do most of the rest of what I do sitting right where I'm sitting now, in
between trips down to the lake in search of dinner...

    rgb