[Beowulf] how fast can NFS run?

Bruce Allen ballen at gravity.phys.uwm.edu
Tue Jan 31 20:13:21 PST 2006

I'd like to know the fastest that anyone has seen an NFS server run, over
either a 10Gb/s ethernet link or a handful of link aggregated
(channel-bonded) Gb/s ethernet lines.

This would be with a small number of clients making large file sequential
reads from the same NFS host/server.  Please assume that the NFS server
has 'infinitely fast' disks.

I am told by one vendor that "NFS can't run faster than 100MB/sec".  I
don't understand or believe this.  If the server's local disks can
read/write at 300MB/s and the networking can run substantially faster than
100 MB/s, I don't see any constraint to faster operation.  But perhaps
someone on this list can provide real-world data (or say why it can't
work).

Note: I am free to use modern versions of the NFS protocol, jumbo frames,
large rsize/wsize, etc.

Cheers,
 	Bruce