[Beowulf] Re: about clusters in high schools

James Cownie jcownie at cantab.net
Sun Jan 29 13:31:05 PST 2006

On 28 Jan 2006, at 03:37, Andrew Piskorski wrote:

> A whole CLASS on "team work" or "presentation skills"?  As fundamental
> to an ENGINEERING curriculum?  God save us...  Or rather, let's hope
> all the engineers we import from India and China save us - from faulty
> automobiles, process plant disasters, collapsing bridges, etc. etc.

A whole class may be more than is necessary, but the inability of the
Morton Thiokol engineers
to produce a convincing presentation of their results which made
their concerns clear to their management
and also convinced NASA was a major contribution to the decision to
launch Challenger...

So, some education in presentation skills seems worthwhile.

--
-- Jim