Flow Viz... Re: Fwd: Re: [Beowulf] Earthquakes and raised floors...

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jan 9 09:56:50 PST 2006

At 08:58 AM 1/9/2006, David Kewley wrote:

>Do any of y'all have suggestions for visualizing the air & heat flow in a
>room, or practical methods for reducing heat recirculation inside or around
>racks?

The traditional approach is using some form of smoke stream to visualize
the air flow. Historically, one would use a bit of TiCl4, which combines
with atmospheric moisture to create TiO2 as a very dense fine
particulate.  The problem is that it also makes HCl, which is corrosive.

Some other convenient smoke sources are the stream of vaporized oil
particles that come from an interesting device called a "Mole-Fogger" (made
by Mole-Richardson) which has a hot element and a little plunger pump that
squirts mineral oil into the element.  You get a dense stream of smoke
which is very controllable.  There is also a device with the trade-name
"Diffusion Fogger" which produces a fine (1 micron particles) mineral oil
mist by mechanical means, so you don't have the smell and decomposition
products, but it doesn't generate a nice dense stream. (If you have ever
seen a theatrical presentation or concert where there was a sort of thin
haze in the air to make the light beams show up, you've seen the output of
the diffusion fogger.. about 10 mg/m3 is the peak concentration used)

The standard glycol based disco foggers are another possibility.  They
basically superheat heat a mixture of propylene glycol and water (sometimes
they add triethylene glycol), and squirt it out a tiny nozzle.  It flashes
into vapor, which then condenses into a "fog".  The water evaporates
quickly, leaving just the glycol as a smaller droplet.  Commercial units
are often referred to as "water base" to distinguish them from oil units.
They also sometimes add a fragrance to mask the distinctive glycol odor and
taste. The glycol eventually evaporates, so to keep the "fog density" up,
you have to keep pumping the glycol/water steam into the room.  This leads
to a fairly high glycol vapor concentration.  The vapor is highly soluble
in your saliva, so when you breathe in through your mouth, it dissolves,
resulting in a very characteristic taste.  (I used to work with all of
these things, and I used to be able to make a rough quantitative assessment
of the fog juice composition just by smell and taste)

Anyway, we built a smoke probe for visualizing airflow using standard
glycol fog juice, a small pressurized container, and a resistance heater
with a temperature controller.

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075