[Beowulf] SW Giaga, what kind?

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri Dec 29 03:26:37 PST 2006

Geoff Jacobs wrote:

> Depends how small we're talking about. If we're talking Value Cluster
> 2K7, the purchasing goals are quite different.

But of course.
Indeed, you could start with desktop type systems and upgrade with (say)
Intel gigabit NIC cards when you have the need for a dedicated network.

Just trying to point out that (in general) you should make a good choice
of hardware platform to start with.
Server-grade hardware in rackmount cases is almost always the way to go.
PSUs are more robust, cabling is easier and as I said you get a second
onboard Gigabit NIC.
Add in the capability for lights-out management for IPMI and you have a
good basis for cluster expansion.

--
      John Hearns
      Senior HPC Engineer