[Beowulf] mpiJava + MPICH

Sean Dilda sean at duke.edu
Wed Dec 27 07:46:29 PST 2006

I'm working on setting up mpiJava for a cluster user.   I'm compiling it
against Sun's Java 1.5.0 and MPICH 1.2.5, on a cluster running CentOS 4

I can get it compiled and installed with a problem, and it almost works.

The test java programs run, however MPICH seems to only initialize with
a world size of 1.   This is behavior very similar to if you run an
mpich program without mpirun.  However, I am using mpirun.

I've also noticed that when a normal MPI program runs, the process tree
shows mpirun, which has a child of your program.  That child of mpirun
then has a child that's your program running locally, and a bunch of
children that are all the 'rsh' command for launching remote copies.
Whenever I run a mpiJava program, the only thing in the process tree is
mpirun and a single child of mpirun.

Has anyone run across this, or have any ideas of what I could do to fix
this problem?

Thanks,

Sean