[Beowulf] SATA II - PXE+NFS - diskless compute nodes

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Tue Dec 12 15:49:46 PST 2006

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Simon Kelley wrote:

> [...]

Those that have talked to me about this topic know that it's a hot-button
for me.

The limit with the "traditional" approach, the ISC DHCP server with one of
the three common TFTP servers, is about 40 machines before you risk losing
machines during a boot.  With 100 machines you are likely to lose 2-5
during a typical power-restore cycle when all machines boot
simultaneously.

The actual node count limit is strongly dependent on the exact hardware
(e.g. the characteristics of the Ethernet switch) and the size of the boot
image (larger is much worse than you would expect).

Staggering node power-up is a hack to work around the limit.  You can
build a lot of complexity into doing it "right", but still be rolling the
dice overall.  It's better than build a reliable boot system than to build
a complex system around known unreliability.

The right solution is to build a smart, integrated PXE server that
understands the bugs and characteristics of PXE.  I wrote one a few years
ago and understand many of the problems.  It's clear to me that no matter
how you hack up the ISC DHCP server, you won't end up with a good PXE
server.  (Read that carefully: yes, it's a great DHCP server; no, it's not
good for PXE.)

> > fwiw:  we use dnsmasq to serve dhcp and handle pxe booting.  It does a
> > marvelous job of both, and is far easier to configure (e.g. it is less
> > fussy) than dhcpd.
>
> Joe, you might like to know that the next release of dnsmasq includes a
> TFTP server so that it can do the whole job. The process model for the
> TFTP implementation should be well suited to booting many nodes at once
> because it multiplexes all the connections on the same process. My guess
>  is that will work better then having inetd fork 2000 copies of tftpd,
> which is what would happen with traditional TFTP servers.

Yup, that's a good start.  It's one of the many things you have to do.
You are already far ahead of the "standard" approach.  Don't forget flow
and bandwidth control, ARP table stuffing and clean-up, state reporting,
etc.  Oh, and you'll find out about the PXE bug that results in a
zero-length filename.. expect it.

> For ultimate scalability, I guess the solution is to use multicast-TFTP.
> I know that support for that is included in the PXE spec, but I've never
> tried to implement it. Based on prior experience of PXE ROMs, the chance
> of finding a sufficiently bug-free implementation of mtftp there must be
> fairly low.

This is a good example of why PXE is not just DHCP+TFTP.  The multicast
TFTP in PXE is not multicast TFTP.  The DHCP response specifies the
multicast group to join, rather than negotiating it as per RFC2090.  That
means multicast requires communication between the DHCP and TFTP sections.

> > Likely with dhcpd, not sure how many dnsmasq can handle, but we have
> > done 36 at a time to do system checking.  No problems with it.

As part of writing the server I wrote a DHCP and TFTP clients to simulate
high node count boots.  But the harshest test was old RLX systems: each of
the 24 blades had three NICs, but could only boot off of the NIC
connected to the internal 100base repeater/hub.  Plus the blade BIOS had a
good selection of PXE bugs.

Another good test is booting Itaniums (really DHCP+TFTP, not PXE).  They
have a 7MB kernel, and a similarly large initial ramdisk.  Forget to
strip off the kernel symbols and you are looking at 70MB over TFTP.  (But
they extend the block index from 16 to 64 bits, allowing you start a
transfer that will take until the heat death of the universe to finish!
Really, 32 bits is sometimes more than enough.  Especially when extending
a crude protocol that should have been forgotten long ago.)