[Beowulf] distributed file storage solution?

Craig Tierney ctierney at hypermall.net
Tue Dec 12 08:37:27 PST 2006

Buccaneer for Hire. wrote:
>> Do you have it running?  If so, how many nodes (targets) do you
>> have connected?  If you have it running in redundant mode, have you
>>  measured the performance difference between RAID0 and RAID5?
>
> Just as an FYI, I would recommend that whatever you decide on, you
> develop a "show me" attitude and test it at your location using your
> job mix BEFORE you spend a dime on it. They you can decide how much
> time and money it will take to make it work.
>
> We have tried many solutions that have not worked.  Some of it, AFTER
> we spent good money and time on it.

Filesystems are getting better, but they are still (all of them) quite
temperamental and may not necessarily work will with your applications.
  At my old site, we brought in any vendor willing to let us test their
stuff.

We got burned on another solution earlier in the contract.  It passed
acceptance, but it still didn't work.  I have become much more diligent
at "breaking" filesystems.  It has help understand what filesystems can
and cannot do.

Craig