[Beowulf] SATA II - PXE+NFS - diskless compute nodes

Buccaneer for Hire. buccaneer at rocketmail.com
Sat Dec 9 17:11:36 PST 2006

> I personally like the idea of putting one admin server in each rack.
>they don't have to be fancy servers, by any means.

*LOLOL*  At first I was guilty of the one things I am always getting on the
other guys for-thinking too literally. I was going to say there is no room in
the rack.  Of course, the server would not have to even be on the same
side of the room.  :)

>> There are a few modifications you have to make to increase the number of bootps before
>> it fails.
>
> do you mean you'd expect load problems even with a single sever
> dedicated only to dhcp?

dhcp is not the problem (it is only critical during kickstart and for laptops moved
in on a temporary basis.  tftp was a problem because of xinetd.  We bought 1024
dual opt nodes in 16 racks.  When we received the first 6 racks we triggered them
all for install-it did not work as expected.

>> So now to figure out my next step.  I will need local space for logs and data/temp data files.
>
> why would you want logs local?

We have huge data sets, huge scratch data, huge library data (travel time sets)
and I worry about network traffic.