[Beowulf] SATA II - PXE+NFS - diskless compute nodes

Guy Coates gmpc at sanger.ac.uk
Sat Dec 9 01:11:07 PST 2006

> We configure clusters for our customers with Scyld Beowulf which does
> not nfs-mount
> root but rather just nfs-mounts the home directories because of its
> particular lightweight
> compute node model, (PXE booting into RAM) and so  does not run into the
> typical
> nfs-root scalability issues.
>
> Michael
>
> Michael Will

At what  node count does the nfs-root model start to break down?  Does anyone
have any rough numbers with the number of clients you can support with a generic
linux NFS server vs a dedicated NAS filer?

Cheers,

Guy

--
Dr. Guy Coates,  Informatics System Group
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1HH, UK