[Beowulf] 'liquid cooled' racks

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Mon Dec 4 06:17:01 PST 2006

No experience yet but our new IBM P575 installation will use these or
something similar.  We don't have sufficient residual forced air cooling
to deal with 640 P5+ CPUs in our campus data center and our plans for
dedicated HPC space on campus are still embryonic.  I'll relate our
experiences.

WRT noise load, the "cost" of another Leibert is trivial compared to the
case fans we'll still have to endure on the new system.  I've heard
numbers in excess of 87 dBa for this system, necessitating hearing
protection now for anyone entering the data center space.

gerry