[Beowulf] cluster softwares supporting parallel CFD computing

amjad ali amjad11 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 08:28:37 PDT 2006

Hello, Hi All.

We are developing Beowulf Cluster for the first time at our university
department. We will perform numerical simulations in CFD on the
cluster. We have chosen that each node (master and compute) of the
cluster will be consisting of 2 AMD Dual Core Opteron Processors on
Tyan Thunder Motherboard, 4 GB of RAM (2GB RAM for each processor),
and at least 80GB of Hard Disk Drive. The nodes will be connected
through 10/100/1000baseT Gigabit Ethernet. Initially we have decided
to setup cluster of 1 master and 3 compute nodes. Thus totaling 16
cores in the cluster. Now we require suggestion for clustering
softwares and technical softwares/compilers/libraries.  We want to
have suitable software for cluster establishment, scheduling and
monitoring. I have studied a bit about "scyld".
Could any of tell me about that? I am little convinced with "scyld". I
am a Lehman computer user so cannot fully understand the concerning
pages on the web.

I wonder to see too many terms about "scyld" like. Are they
same/integrated in one package or different ones?

SHOULD we use the master node for performing computational work along
with cluster-handling?

Could any of you please suggest me full software list staring from OS
to clustering software, Message Passing Libraries, Fortran 95
compilers and mathematical libraries, to fully establish our Beowulf
cluster for parallel CFD computing. We would be interested in buying
the softwares.

THANKS.