[Beowulf] SPEC CPU 2006 released

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 26 04:17:57 PDT 2006

If you want to objectively test yourself, you download some open source
software,
go compile it for the different processors and benchmark how fast the
programs are.

Keep into account then that you need to really be objective as some programs
depend a lot
upon some simple driver of the graphics systems, to give a trivial example.
Then you need
to get it deterministically to work for 1 core, which happens for very few
software applications
too. Then you need to know something about compilers, how to compile
something such that
you obtain a fast executable. Knowledge on how to get things done with
compilers and the
word 'tester' are 2 that usually do not go hand in hand.

But more importantly, find me 1 tester that wants to do that much effort.

ZERO will do it.
ZERO out of all the billion persons on planet earth.

For those cpu manufacturers buying a license from spec is quite easy.

I'm not aware how much they need to pay. Couple of tens of thousands or so?

Spec pays out like 2000 dollar a few times to motivate developers.

In case of Sjeng i didn't catch that money, but GCP did (we appointed it
like that
as he started the program and did do the majority of the work on the
program).

Bottomline is that spec has something the important guys (the manufacturers)
can test for and compare themselves with
and cpu designers can design new cpu's for, and we all can objectively look
at the results they produce and see what is clearly
fastest.

Vincent