[Beowulf] Java vs C++ for interfacing to parallel library

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Sun Aug 20 20:50:31 PDT 2006

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, Jonathan Ennis-King wrote:

> One way to alleviate the performance hit is of course to use a 90% Java
> strategy, where the computationally intensive 10% (here, parallel sparse
> matrix inversion) is handled in C.
> It's the mixed language part that worries me with Java, especially in
> the light of rgb's comments. It is claimed by some that Java and C++ are
> largely incompatible. Or is this all solved in the Java native interface
> (JNI)?
>
> My specific question was whether anyone out there was running parallel
> codes either written completely in Java, or with Java wrappering some
> big numerical library for the hard part. Are there any additional issues
> with parallel performance, or it this just a subcase of Java-C
> interfacing in a scalar setting.

Well, GIYF.  For example,

   http://www.math.ucla.edu/~anderson/JAVAclass/JavaInterface/JavaInterface.html

turns up on the search string "java C interface", along with a few
zillion other hits and howto articles.

I think that the example given in the web hit above should serve to
guide you as a template on that route if that's what you want to try.
However, I wouldn't count on the result being horribly portable
cross-platform -- you'll face the double barrier of having to get the
same result from your C or C++ compiler on both platforms/OS
architectures AND have similar behavior from and versioning of the java
ports to both platform/OS's.

> The other option is the Unix-like strategy suggested by rgb, where for
> example the computational part is completely written in C, and then the
> pre and post-processing which benefit from a GUI are written in some
> other language (e.g. Java), or strung together from other unix tools and
> wrapper languages.

Or a library-based strategy.  If you take your core code and develop a
plain old reusable library out of it with a fairly straightforward API
(which takes a lot of programming discipline and a certain amount of
practice, I think, but isn't particularly difficult) then you can USE
the library in a variety of UIs.  You can write a simple
vanilla-variable C interface to embed in java or perl.  You can write a
tty/ascii UI for command line users.  You can write a Gtk/Gnome
interface using glade and callbacks for native X/linux.  The UI code may
or many not be portable (tty/ascii I/O code using standard posix and
libc and libm calls is pretty much lowest common denominator and tends
to run compile and run "anywhere" including on Windows boxes with
minimal tweaking, more complex UIs become successively harder to port to
and less portable, as a rule) but the library itself, if written in
"boring" C with a very clear and simple API, should be able to support
all the UIs and interactive languages in a straightforward manner.

That's actually what I'd recommend if you really want UI flexibility and
code maintainability.  The latter is a very important consideration that
hasn't been touched on yet.  If you actually WRITE your application
integrated with a complex top level language/tool like perl, python,
java then maintaining it becomes much more complicated (as I've learned
very much the hard way, alas). If the basic sparse matrix routine
library changes, it will likely lead to emergent bugs.  If your C/C++
encapsulation of that routine changes or your application goals change
over time along with your core code, it's another thing to debug.  If
java (or any other UI base) changes, it's yet another thing to debug.
If you get enough layers (and languages and data interfaces) in there,
running down bugs and deciding "whose fault" they are gets to be really
quite difficult.  Fault aside, just finding them and fixing them can
become painful in the extreme.

For that reason I think it is a really good idea to have as few distinct
layers as possible to work with and to SEPARATE those so that they can
be separately debugged with a clean layer (API) in between.  If your
program is wrapped up in a library with a very simple C tty/ascii UI,
you control it all and can be pretty certain that any errors you
encounter are in YOUR code in ONE language and ONE data representation.
In other words, you have a decent chance of efficiently debugging
things.

OTOH if the only way you observe the failure is by accessing your core
routines through a big, complicated GUI written in an entirely different
language with its own data representation and with all sorts of stuff
happening at the callback level and with multiple layers of event loops
or even multiple threads (GUI-based programs have the nasty habit of
blocking when they are in their core work loops UNLESS they are written
with multiple threads, and multiple threads of course are far more
complex and enable far more subtle bugs to surface) then you're looking
at a LOT more work to debug any problems.  I personally would rather
tattoo the windows logo on my left bicep with a dull needle and food
coloring than mess with it at all.

Worse still, if you write a GUI-based program WITHOUT a relatively clean
API between the UI part and the work part and have NO other UI or
encapsulation to work on just the actual work routines, then god help
you if you ever have to debug the code OR rework the GUI.  Even "simple"
stuff like adding a new graphical display of some result can become
nightmarish if the UI and operational code are all entangled together.

So even if you ultimately want to integrate with java, with R, with
perl, or write a native GUI for some platform or another, I'd strongly
suggest writing your core code as a de facto library with its own
#include files that define the shared interface and all externally
visible data structures.  Develop this code with a simple ASCII front
end -- basically a command line parser to input program parameters and
perform any needed initialization, a work routine that takes the input
data and calls the core library subroutine(s) that do the required work
and produce a desired result (and does no significant work itself), and
a minimal output layer that pulls the result out of the standard
interface variables altered or returned by the library calls according
to the program API and dumps it onto either stdout or into a
command-line specified file where it can be verified for selected input
test data.

With this minimal encapsulation and debugging system, you can then do
whatever you like with the core work routines, quickly and easily.  For
example it is absolutely straightforward to replace the command line
interface with a glade-constructed set of GUI input widgets, the work
interface with a callback on a "run" button, and to add whatever kind of
output interface you like (graphical or otherwise).  Or you can fancy up
your command line interface and wrap it up in python or perl.  Or you
can modify the command line interface so that it is suitable for turning
the library calls into java or perl subroutine calls and obtaining the
input from java variables and delivering the output back to java
variables.  If you always take care to maintain your minimal C/tty UI
along with the library, you can easily isolate any problems that emerge
to JUST one layer in the initialization, execution, postprocessing,
presentation sequence, in particular keeping the execution part isolated
from the rest (that are more likely to be tied to some particular UI
environment with quirks, an API and data representation, and even a
language of its own).

    rgb

> [...]
>> the issues associated with the port are mentioned here:
>> http://star-www.rl.ac.uk/star/dvi/sun209.htx/node4.html as well as
>> elsewhere on the web.  Basically, calling C libraries in fortran code is
>> possible but requires some work and code encapsulation (and vice versa
>> for calling fortran routines from inside C code, IIRC -- fortran/C
>> compiler folks can check me on this:-).
>>
>> Java, octave, matlab, python, perl etc. are MUCH WORSE in this regard.
>> All require NONTRIVIAL encapsulation of the library into the interactive
>> environment.  I have never done an actual encapsulation into any of
>> them, but I'll wager that it is really quite difficult because each of
>> them has their very own internal data types that are REALLY opaque
>> objects that bear little overt resemblance to the simple "all data
>> objects can be viewed as a projection onto a block of memory with either
>> typed or pointer driven offset arithmetic" view of data in C or for that
>> matter C++ or Fortran (with slighly different projective views in both
>> cases).
>>
>> These languages typically permit you to allocate memory by just using a
>> named variable.  This is marvelously convenient for an interactive
>> environment -- it is marvelously expensive in terms of program
>> efficiency because the underlying environment has to manage allocating
>> the memory transparently extensibly (most of the languages permit you to
>> allocate whole vectors or matrices of variables by just referencing
>> them), tracking instances of the memory in code, and freeing the memory
>> when it is no longer referenced or being used.  Conservatively, so that
>> they tend to keep things if there is ANY CHANCE of their ever being
>> referenced, making them typically memory hogs almost as bad as a C
>> program would be if every memory reference in the program was to static
>> global memory -- no memory allocation or freeing at all, beyond whatever
>> goes on stack/heap in the course of subroutine calls or internal
>> function execution.  Complicated hashes or advanced list structures are
>> used to keep the execution itself moderately efficient (but highly
>> INefficient compared to a decent compiler with flat memory outlays).
>>
>> The point being that you have to interface these opaque and not
>> obviously documented data types to the C library calls.  This is surely
>> possible -- it is how all those perl libraries, matlab toolboxes, java
>> interfaces come about.  It will probably require that you learn WAY more
>> about how the language itself is implemented at the source level than
>> you are likely to want to know, and it is probably not going to be
>> terribly easy...
>>
>>    rgb

> - --
>  Jonathan Ennis-King
>  email: Jonathan.Ennis-King at csiro.au
>  post: CSIRO Petroleum, Private Bag 10, Clayton South, Victoria, 3169,
> Australia
>  ph: +61-3-9545 8355 fax: +61-3-9545 8380

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu