[Beowulf] [OT] HPC and University IT - forum/mailing list?

Bill Rankin wrankin at ee.duke.edu
Wed Aug 16 06:35:13 PDT 2006

On Aug 15, 2006, at 8:50 PM, Joe Landman wrote:

[very good insight snipped]

> In order to get more support for little a, and I would argue for
> little/big S (end user support/machine support), you can't just be a
> cost center.  You need to be a profit center.  This forces a
> particular
> range of business models upon you (chargeback and others) but with
> some
> creative thinking, you might be able to turn this into a real revenue
> generator for the university (not big revenue, but self sustaining).
> Let me know if you want to talk about this offline.  It is more of a
> business model than anything else.

Ya see, this is the sort of thing I wanted to discuss *on-line* but
figured that the Beowulf list was not the best place to do it.  ;-)

The educause site that Mike pointed out may be a good solution, or I
have access to a mailman server.

Thanks for the great input folks,

-b