[Beowulf] DC Power Dist. Yields 20%

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Sat Aug 12 06:56:55 PDT 2006

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Mark Hahn wrote:

>> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2000867,00.asp
>>
>> 20% is a lot, both in terms of consumption and cooling capacity. I'm
>
> the article says "up to 15%" at the facility level - did you get 20%
> by figuring a savings at the rack level, too?

FWIW, Rackable has been selling this for years now.  Their systems use a
beefy DC power system with rails and custom chassis that both runs
cooler up front and isolates the heat of power conversion from the
motherboards.  It actually looks quite lovely on paper and I have little
doubt that it works decently in practice -- for a price.  I don't
believe that the amortized savings in power consumption equals the price
premium, though... the usual problem with this sort of thing.  Great
idea, limited market, break even or lose a bit on the markup/margin.

    rgb