[Beowulf] gamers: evil or just useless? ;)

sNAAPS eLYK 3lucid at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 17:40:23 PDT 2006

As a gamer myself, and hearing about that stuff a few months ago - I
also thought it was quite silly, useless even. I believe they are
trying to profit from the general ignorance of most Windows users
[read "gamers"] - however mildly beneficial the technology might be.
Benefits, IMO, would be better seen from the technology behind
nVidia's new onboard NIC - giving priority to certains packets, called
FirstPacket <http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2764&p=3>.

Before you bash gaming too much, however, I would suggest you think of
some of the advantages that gamers bring to the industry! :P
->Masses of people buying hardware, encouraging competition between
chipmakers, and keeping prices down through mass production
->R&D boosted by gamer's demands, leading to improvements that can be
used elsewhere
->Newest hardware is tested by gamers

gl & hf