[Beowulf] File server dual opteron suggestions?

Mike Davis jmdavis1 at vcu.edu
Fri Aug 4 00:04:50 PDT 2006

Joe,

I don't mean  to hijack the thread, but if Dave's users can fit the db's
that they are running (Blast for instance against) in /tmp on the
compute nodes, overall performance increases. This certainly doesn't
work with genbank (unless you have 130+gb of /tmp. But it does work well
with nr, uniprot, and the other protein db's.I run a relatively large
/tmp filesystems on my nodes (55-100GB). But my nodes are more general
purpose and may be running blast one day, Gaussian 03 or VASP  the next,
and Fluent or abaqus after that.

The performance increase will depend on the size of the db, the size of
client and server caches, and the number of spindles.

Mike