[Beowulf] Re: Feedback on large pages in Linux (hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca)

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Aug 2 07:36:01 PDT 2006

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Eric Thibodeau wrote:

> Le dimanche 30 juillet 2006 00:53, Robert G. Brown a écrit :
> [...snip...]
>> Y'know, except for actually going to a classroom and teaching, I could
>> do most of the rest of what I do sitting right where I'm sitting now, in
>> between trips down to the lake in search of dinner...
>>
>>     rgb

> We all know you're cooking up a way to build that big cluster you've
> been dreaming of in your cottage basement. Of course, being next to a
> lake, you'd cool it using that water mass :P

Alas, up here on the very tip of the thumb of Michigan (there is a rocky
ledge poking out over Huron called "thumbnail", no joke:-) the
temperature has been over 90 for five days running and people here have
never HEARD of air conditioning -- the problem is usually one of it
going down into the fifties (as it is due to in a couple more days:-).

The lake is bathwater warm in the shallows, no better than "cool" out as
far as I wade while fishing.

I'll need to use a half-mile long pipe to get out to deep water to be
able to access that 55F bottom layer for cooling purposes... rats!

At least my laptop hasn't broken.  It's all the "supercomputer" I have
handy, although of course with DSL I can reach all sorts of resources
far far away.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu