[Beowulf] scheduler and perl

Xu, Jerry YXU11 at PARTNERS.ORG
Tue Aug 1 14:36:54 PDT 2006

Hi, Thanks, Joe.
 I am not meaning to "ban" anything immediately, I am just curious how often
this happen to the HPC community.
Perl/shell is really strong tool, one example is to use loop to submit huge
mount of jobs and puts burden on scheduler server, the other example is to have
one job sit idle and frequently to use system call to detect the job status and
resubmit jobs again and again; the other example is that use system call and ssh
to each node and run stuff and bypass the scheduler... It just drives me crazy
sometime.

 How do you guys handle issue like this?

Jerry

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Landman [mailto:landman at scalableinformatics.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 5:24 PM
To: Xu, Jerry
Cc: beowulf at beowulf.org
Subject: Re: [Beowulf] scheduler and perl

Hi Jerry:

   Its generally a good idea to talk to your users, understand what it
is they are doing, and see if you can help them, rather than simply
"banning" things.  The result of bans of deeply embedded practices
usually results in some ... exciting ... meetings, emails, and telephone
calls.

   That said, we use, and our products quite a bit of Perl to submit
jobs, and it works fine.  If you are running into particular issues, why
not discuss them here, and likely you will get lots of good answers back.

Joe