[Beowulf] Opteron cooling specifications?

Michael Will mwill at penguincomputing.com
Fri Apr 28 14:22:51 PDT 2006

A good set of specs according to our engineers could be:

1. No side vending of hot air from the case. The systems will be placed
into 19" racks and there is no place for the air to go if it's blown
into the side of the rack. Even if you take the sides off then you still
will have racks placed next to each other. Airflow should be 100% front
to back.

2. Along with that, there should be no "cheat holes" in the top, bottom
or sides of the case. All "fresh" air should be drawn in from the front
of the chassis. Again, the system will be racked in a 19" rack and there
is no "fresh air" to be drawn in from the sides of the case (see 1
above) nor will the holes be open when nodes are stacked one on top of
the other in a fully populated rack (32 nodes per rack).

3. There should be a mechanical separation between the hot and cold
sections of the chassis to prevent the internal fans from sucking in hot
air from the rear of the chassis.

4. The power supply *must* vent directly to the outside of the case and
not inside the chassis. The power supply produces approximately 20% of
the heat in the system. That hot air must be vented directly out of the
chassis to prevent it from heating other components in the system.

5. The system should employ fan speed control. Running high speed fans
at less than rated speed prolongs their life and reduces power usage for
the platform as a whole. Fan speed should be controlled by either
ambient temperature or preferably by CPU temperature.

6. The system must have a way of measuring fan speed and reporting a fan
failure so that failed fans can be replaced quickly.

Michael Will / SE Technical Lead / Penguin Computing