[Beowulf] Re: ClusterMonkey/Doug E. got slashdotted

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Wed Apr 26 12:57:11 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 17:52 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 09:40:20AM -0500, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
> > I still scan it daily.  Not so much for the comments posted as for the
> > news they catch I might be interested in.  I rarely read the comments
> > anymore...
>
> I only read the /. headlines for the same reasons, via an email
> newsletter. The noise is still overwhelming.
>
> You can assume anything Beowulf-relevant will land here.

Seems pretty off topic, but what I do is to put "the palm version" on
slashdot on my PDA every morning, and read it while I'm standing in line
or whatever.  The Palm version has just the top of the article, and the
five highest-rated comments.  Sadly though, the page is designed pretty
poorly for spidering it - each successive article is deeper into the
hierarchy, so if you aren't careful (say, if someone links back to the
main slashdot page from one of the top five articles), you can easily
end up trying to spider all of slashdot.