[Beowulf] Determining NFS usage by user on a cluster

G.M.Sigut sigut at id.ethz.ch
Sun Apr 23 23:04:20 PDT 2006

> > >  Is there any good solution to find out which user is loading the NFS
> > > the most in a cluster configuration?
> > >

> > iftop is quite a handy tool; it displays traffic on a per-host basis, so
> > if a particular node is hammering your NFS server, it will show right up.
> >
> > http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pdw/iftop/
>

> Etherape might be a useful tool also.
>
> http://etherape.sourceforge.net/

If you want to find users, you might try to run

tcpdump -i eth1 -c 1000 -n -p -s 192 -v -u udp and port 2049 | \
awk '/ids/{A=match($0,"ids"); print substr($0,A+4,3)}' dudu|grep -v '/'

on the NFS server. This will give you a list of UIDs you might process
further by building sums etc. Not nice, not 100%, but the only way to
sum up USER usage as far as I was able to find out until now.

Regards,  George

--
 ETH Zurich,  Informatikdienste,  Sektion Systemdienste,  CH-8092 Zurich
 Swiss Federal Inst. of Technology,  Computing Services, System Services
 e-mail:  sigut at id.ethz.ch,  Phone: +41 1 632 5763,  Fax: +41 1 632 1022