[Beowulf] iptaled

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Thu Sep 29 22:03:24 PDT 2005

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:53 pm, Glen Gardner wrote:

> Exposing compute nodes and even I/O servers to the outside is common in
> grids. The idea is that many remote small systems can be linked via an
> external network to form a supercomputer.  The big problem is the
> latency in cross country links. Security can be handled well enough.

Umm, we're not doing this for our grid, in fact in some cases even the head
nodes of the clusters are not guaranteed to be visible to the outside world -
so we're having to create gateway systems (using Xen) running Globus 2 & 4
(and LCG) that qsub jobs onto those nodes remotely.

The only reason I can see for this is MPICH-G2, which does require public IP
addresses, but nobody is using that here.  Our main focus at the moment is to
simplify access to existing cluster applications.

We're not trying to build grid applications that span clusters because
firewall administrators here get twitchy enough about opening up even the
port ranges that Globus uses, plus there's the fact that address space seems
to be guarded fairly closely here.

> Setups like this are common , really.

Not in Australia. :-)

Chris