[Beowulf] hpl size problems

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Sep 27 08:20:15 PDT 2005

Robert G. Brown wrote:
> Greg M. Kurtzer writes:
> (regarding what Mark Hahn writes:-)

[...]

>>> *need*
>>>
>>> sure, but that's not inherent to your system, and unless you had some
>>> pretty
>>> godaweful stuff installed before, it's hard to see that explanation...
>
> Yes.

This is actually why Warewulf is quite nice.  For those situations where
I cannot use it, I have rolled a very lightweight version of SuSE (and
will do the same with Centos).

The problem is dependency-hell.  Not the yum-solving variety, just the
requirements that some packages seem to have where they have 10+
pre-requisites, which themselves have 10+ prerequisites....  pretty soon
you are finding yourself installing doxygen and tex in order to get
something with a man page section ...

The main distro vendors don't do a very good job of keeping a low
dependency radius.  You wind up with fairly huge minimum trees pretty
quickly.

<slight aside>

As for TeX, if you are installing it to your compute nodes, then I hope
that one of your main tasks will be to crunch lots of documentation.  I
know those post script placements can be somewhat challenging.  It sure
as heck doesn't make sense to install it (and openoffice components for
that matter) to cluster nodes.  I see this all the time, and one of the
more popular cluster "distributions" does this.

This has been a pet peeve of mine for a while.  I like the
install-minimum and add-needed-bits philosophy more than I like the
everything-including-the-kitchen-sink.  Lots of services seem to get
activated when you install the-kitchen-sink.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com